On Feb 5, 2012 I ran my first Marathon, and my wonderful friend Theresa on her blog listed mile by mile what happened, and I loved it so much I am copying a good thing. Here it goes...
I woke up and walked the 1 mile to the start line from my hotel. I talked to a wonderful man on the way who's wife was a 3rd grade teacher, and how they had the kids guess his end time. He can run anywhere from a 9:30 minute mile to an 11 minute mile. WHAT A GREAT activity for the kids. He laughed when I said it was my first marathon and I was trying to Boston Qualify. Most people did, he said I needed to enjoy the run and not put so much pressure on myself, but I LOVE pressure and having a goal in mind to reach is what I HAVE to have to live through 26.2 miles, at least that's what I thought.
I found my starting coral, and was super bummed I wasn't in the first one, as that is where my pacer was. My bib number was 2817 and only under 2000 were corralled in the front, separating the sub 4 hour from the post 4 hour finishers. I knew I was not going to be post 4 hours, and was defiantly sub 4, so I planned on sneaking up to the front before the race. I stretched and asked a nice volunteer to take my picture. I then posted this on facebook. I got a text from my super sister Chelsey "Your gonna do awesome!!!" and from my friend Theresa, that I will never forget "Breathe, just breathe. Today you are my hero." So I smiled HUGE, took a deep breath, and felt so loved! The morning was perfect, just a little brisk, but I had been told by my brother Trent, you want it cool to keep your body temperature down, so I was happy, and super excited. Ms. Huntington Beach sang the National Anthem and then we were off--even though the sound horn wouldn't work--and they had to tell us three times to just start running. :)
Mile ONE-- my plan was to run 7:50 miles and catch the 3 hour 30 min pacer on mile 3 or so, but I couldn't I even tried slower music, that didn't work, I wanted to be by him and with him the entire race so off I went to catch my man. My music--YIKES I had a complete Marathon Play List I had made and was super excited about my order of songs, but my GPS was set to SHUFFLE....I was so bummed, but thought, I can't stop for something so small as a music change, plus I wanted an accurate reading of pace and distance so I just kept going. I bought poster board and markers for the kids to make posters, and they had fun, and came out to cheer mommy on. Our hotel was just at mile one so it was a perfect location, they just all came down in their P.J.'s. Super cute to see.
Mile TWO-- kept thinking to myself enjoy the ocean, enjoy the run, and I couldn't get the grin off my face!! I still am smiling thinking about it, I felt SO GREAT!!
Mile THREE-- making the turn into the PARK OF HECK as people call it. It really wasn't that bad. I stayed with my pacer this entire time. This was where the first band was located, but I don't really remember them playing anything, or maybe I just couldn't hear them over my music. This mile was through neighborhoods, and I had driven it twice, so I was very familiar with it.
Mile FOUR/FIVE-- this section was up hill and then a turn to a HUGE downhill that I would latter have to conquer on the turn, but at the top of the hill as I was about to come down I spot Mike and the kids with my parents. It was AWESOME, to see them again and they cheered again super loud. SUPER COOL to see them again we didn't plan on that one it just worked out.
Mile SIX-- my decision to leave the group. as we came into mile six it was entering the park. and I was getting super squished by the other runners, so I make the decision to pick up my pace and RUN MY RACE. This was not my plan, my plan was to stay with the pacer and become best friends, but he had TOO many best friends and it was SUPER crowded and not fun on these little trail paths through the park. I felt wonderful though. SO many kids came out to support, to direct where to go through the park, to give oranges, water, they made signs of encouragement, their band was out playing it was really neat to see so many kids involved in this marathon. I tried to tell all of the girls they were beautiful and all of guys thanks. I really liked this part of the race.
Mile SEVEN-- still in the park telling the girls they were pretty and the boys thanks.
Mile EIGHT--THE HILL-- I asked my parents and Mike to come to the hill and cheer me on. The Huntington Beach Marathon is super super flat, but it has one little hill, and I thought it would be fun for my family to cheer me and the other runners up the hill. My wonderful family staggered themselves up the hill, with my Mom and Madisyn first who when I reached them started running up the hill with me, HOW CUTE, little Madisyn and my wonderful Mom run up the hill to where Mike, Nicole, and Aidan were and then I ran up to my Dad who was the SUPER CHEERER at the top Cheering for everyone no matter if they wanted cheers or not, but I sure did, and his sign said BRING ON BOSTON and I was all about that, BOSTON here I come was what I kept thinking.
Mile NINE--beautiful downhill...great view and the houses I ran by were so pretty. I was unable to drive on this road, so I was excited to finally get to see it. ALL downhill, and the weather was perfect. This road dropped us back to the neighborhood and the straight road to the ocean. Some middle school girl were out volunteering and doing some dance moves, I said I wanted to see the running man, or shuffle, the girls all laughed and started doing the running man. At this point I was passing many marathoners that were still coming up on mile 4, yikes that is one long marathon, and Shad's advice came racing into my head, "The faster you run, the faster your done."
Mile TEN--at the ocean again!!! Yeah I was so glad to be back on the flat PCH and next to the ocean. I ran this part of the race on Friday for my run, it was beautiful, and I was excited to be out of the park and back on the ocean. A guy that had been ahead of me through the park area while running asked if that was my family on the hill. I said yeah, and he said they were great. I think then he realized we really should not be chatting because we are in a race, because he didn't say anything else.
Mile ELEVEN--Still running up the PCH tons of volunteers and the weather was perfect.
Mile TWELVE-- At the FIRST of three turns. I felt great and was excited to start the return, I was also super excited to know that I was getting closer and closer to being finished.
Mile THIRTEEN-- HALF WAY POINT this was my favorite thing I heard my voice on my iphone say to me. I love knowing that the miles will be a count down, rather then a count up. This is also where my iphone playlist played my kids saying mom you can do this you can run to the Boston Marathon and Nicole saying GO Mommy Go Mommy, it played twice in a row due to the shuffle thing, it was suppose to play through out the marathon, at least it didn't play till the half way point.
Mile FOURTEEN-- still the same running down the ocean. This time though we had the LuluLemon girls out with very clever signs, my favorite..."Don't stop, that's what she said" "I like guys in short shorts"...
Mile FIFTEEN --my second turn and where I was suppose to see my family again. Bummer they missed me, but I couldn't wait I was doing AWESOME. I was consistently holding a 7:50 mile and I only needed a 8:10 to qualify, and I felt GREAT....
Mile SIXTEEN--weird but I had to dodge multiple bikes on this pathway, but I guess because it is public you can't kick them out or close the trail. I have 10 more miles, and feeling great.
Mile SEVENTEEN--still great a little bored I tried looking out over the ocean, but it was still a little boring just going straight, I thought I would like that but my mind starting wondering, and I had to keep focus on the run.
Mile EIGHTEEN--same as above just starting to get really bored. I tried to draft people to keep my mind going, but I was just bored.
Mile NINETEEN-- I started having a little panic attack, I have slowed my pace dramatically, well down to 8:06 and the 3 hour 30 minute pacer has caught me. I'm a little bummed, but maybe it will be good to be running with others.
Mile TWENTY--My last turn, and I am staying great with the pacer, and plan on staying with him.
Mile TWENTY ONE--I kept reminding myself your almost there, but so many people were walking. WALKING...you don't walk when your this close to the end do you? I had another little mental crisis, but I was staying with my pacer friend, and he was going to bring me in right...
Mile TWENTY TWO-- Thank you LuLu Lemon for the oranges they tasted great. Still with my group...I kept drinking water and then pouring it on me to make sure I stayed cool enough, it was starting to get a little warm, and we were running into the sun.
Mile TWENTY THREE--my mental collapse, the worst moment, I slowed down to grab a drink, I really didn't need one, but everyone was slowing down, but not my pacer he powered through and then I was behind him and sad, and felt defeated, I kept trying to tell myself, no worries you are so far ahead on 3 hours and 35 minutes you will still qualify, but I wanted to be ahead of 3 hours and 30 minutes, my race up till now would have had me well before 3 hours and 30 minutes. I just couldn't get my mind going again, I just wanted to give up....I can't believe I thought that, but I did all of these negetive things kept coming into my head.
Mile TWENTY FOUR--The worst mile of my race I think I ran it in 8:45 YIKES...that is horrible and I lost the view of my pacer all together and kept thinking the 3 hour 35 minute guy was right behind me, but he wasn't.
Mile TWENTY FIVE--My family...THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...I saw Mike on the corner of the grass and I wanted to say to him "I'm done I don't want to play anymore" he saw this and just CHEERED me on, reminding me that I wanted this, my Dad cheered me on and said you can do this, and then the unthinkable happened, my MOM all dressed in her perfect outfit, perfect hair, purse, fancy flip flops started running with me, and not just for a minute for about 500 yards until a bush got in her way cheering me on and giving me the energy and positive motivation I needed to finish strong. I ran hard from then on.
Mile TWENTY SIX-- AWESOME this was the best I loved running in on the road and seeing all of the people, and then when they said "Timette all the way from Herriman Utah look at that smile." I knew I had done it. I looked at the clock and it said 3 hours, and 31 minutes, I QUALIFIED.... My brother has tried for years to qualify and I did it on my first time...tears just ran out I couldn't stop them. I QUALIFIED....
My pacer friend came up to me and said "Did you make it? Did you qualify?" I said "Yes, I made it 3 hours 31 minutes." He said "Great is that a PR?" I said "Well it was my first time." He just laughed and shook his head "Amazing." he said. ---my favorite memory from the race, because I am a FIRST TIME MARATHONER that did the impossible everyone said you can't qualify on your first time and I did. Thanks for all of the cheers along the way and for the wonderful words of encouragement, you are all awesome.




3 comments:
Timette, I know I have told you this time and time again...but hey everyone likes to hear how amazing they are right? You are truly an inspiration you are always so postive motivating and uplifting...You never cease to amaze me with what you accomplish you believe with your heart and soul and you go after your dreams. Thank you for always lifting me and inspiring me. You truly truly are one in 100 million!! I hope you know how much I look up to you and love you!!
WOW! Truly Amazing. Congratulations!
I am finally getting to view your blog. It doesn't update on mine and then all of the sudden there are tons of posts. Anyways, I am glad I could be inspirational to you. I like things simple and so I think that way too. You proved that the faster you run the faster you will finish. I am still bragging about you. Great job once again, I think you are amazing!!!
Post a Comment