Friday night we left the kids with Kristine, (thank you Kristine) and drove to Jones Hole, About a 4 hour drive. When we got there we went into the fish hatchery, very cool Aidan would have loved it, and signed in. We then put on our packs and headed on one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever been on.
The water was crystal clear and cold, and the rocks were just like the beautiful river rock you buy from Lowes. At one point when Mike was fishing I could see the fish swimming to the fly and then swimming away. It was unbelievable. Tons of fish. Every time you stepped into the river or walked at all in the river you saw the fish swim.
We hiked in about 2 miles and came to petroglyphs on the walls. These two were picture worthy.
Then we set up camp. When we first set up our tent you could see the main trail right there, and as the Green River Rafters came up the trail they would walk right by the tent so we moved it a little further over so we were a little more off I-15 we called it.
We then continued on without our packs. On the way we ran into a heard of Mountian goats. They had their babies with them and as soon as we stated getting closer they formed a circle around the little ones. They had their heads in and their buts out ready to kick if needed to protect their little ones. Really cool to see actually.
Around the corner we saw 4 males and they started heading towards us. It freaked us out a little, but then we realized that hikers were coming from the other direction, so that is why it looked like they were heading towards us, they were just trying to get out of thier way.
Not only does Jones Hole have Mountain Goats but it has Mountian Lions as well, and I was on the look out, but didn't see one. Thought I did but it turned out to be a yellow rock. When we got to the Green River the end of Jones Hole Creek Mike fished some more, but the rafts were coming in and still didn't catch anything. I kept asking the fish to just Bite and telling them that we would put them back after we took a picture, but I guess I can't speak fish. :)
As I stepped into the Green River a little snake swam off, so I followed and took a picture to show Aidan. I actually saw it a couple more times as I watched Mike fish. I think it liked me.
On the way back to the campsite Mike tried a couple more times, but still no fish. I thought he looked good though, and that's really all that matters. That night we realized that we forgot to bring the fuel to the jet boil, so we ate cold soup. Really not too bad. We also forgot a cribbage board so we had to make up our own little version of 3-13, my Mom's favorite game. It was fun, but I think Mike won by 2 hands.
That night was perfect and because of the canyon cliffs and the shade of the tree above us, we slept in until 10:15. Sleeping in is unheard of especially when your camping but it was wonderful. We then packed up camp and headed to the little waterfall just up the side canyon by our campsite.
After that we put back on our big packs and hiked out. All in all a great hike. Thanks Mike for taking me on a wonderful hike.
4 comments:
WOW..that's looks like a lot of fun and so pretty. Happy Belated Birthday!
How Fun, I would love to do something like that. Maybe I'll make it a goal for my 30th birthday as well!
How fun!! I want to do that now! Man on man, I would be freaked of mountain lions..scary!! Eeek. That is so beautiful I love your cute pics in your cute hat! Fun fun!
Happy Birthday!! What a great idea to set a goal like that.
Post a Comment